Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day 6 Swimming & Piranha Fishing

No Insect Repellant 

Our crew does not use insect repellant.  Instead they cover exposed skin with long pants, long sleeves and neck/face wraps.  I learned repellant (particularly Deet) is corrosive to metals (camera equipment, jewelry, etc) and bad for plant and animal life.  Yesterday, Martin said his watch melted to his skin.  We speculated that this may have been a combination of the DEET and/or the heat.  Also, I was unable to touch last night's caimans because I had repellant on...  

And so,  I too stopped using insect repellant.  I figured I could handle the bites I might get in my remaining 4 days.



Wildlife

On the way to our swimming destination, we passed CP1 (Check Point 1/Ranger Station) and saw a variety of wildlife:
Ranger
Old Ranger Station/CP1

Black Collared Hawk 
Red Howler
Red Howler

Red Howler - leaping to another tree
Capped Heron
working on ID
Flame-tailed Pondhawk
__ - spotted by me!  Reportedly rare to see in Peru
Great Potoo!! (nocturnal and related to Nightjar).  Very far away and incredibly camouflaged!  Parked skiff under one last night, in the dark; but unable to see/photo it, due to darkness.
Great Potoo!
Cane Toad
Black-capped Donacobius
Black-capped Donacobius
Black-capped Donacobius
Neotropical Cormorants
Cocoi Heron
Woodpecker

Swam in the Amazon!

It was at the Reserve's Check Point 2 ranger station on the Yana Yaku blackwater lake accessed by skiff from the Ucayali River (connected to the Amazon).  Despite all my pre-trip reading and friends' cautions about the candiru fish, parasites and predators... our expedition leader (Renzo) was first in.  Nancy (from Fredericksburg, VA) went next; and I was third in!  (I did not have a bathing suit; so I jumped in with my clothes on.)  Less than half of our 20 swam that morning.  Logan was the only male. The water was fantastic!  Refreshing, perfect temp - and clean!
Ranger station (CP2) at Yana Yaku blackwater lake.  Where more than half of our group of 20 waited for the swimmers.


Piranha Fishing!

We took the skiffs to Dorado Creek, off the Ucayali River.  - and under some trees to this former flatland forest now covered in water.  The air was quite still and stuffy because of the tree/vegetation volume. 

Wonderfully Reflective Water
We used the same kind of simple sticks and fishing lines we saw in yesterday's village.  Beef tenderloin was the bait.  With one lesson, I caught a fish right away, as did others.  We fell into a competition with the other skiff about who could holler louder and more often with each catch.  Once I felt a hint of competition, my squeamishness about fishing went out the window; and it was ON!  LOL!  When we finished, and the two teams compared catches, I teased the other team about stopping at the market and buying their fish!
Red Bellied Piranha
Julio & Dennis
Jair & Martin
Piranha Fishing, Dorado Creek

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you had the courage to go swimming. It is one of those experiences you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beef tenderloin for bait?! You might have caught a few humans, as well as the fish. So very glad that you had the fishing and the swimming experience. You look extremely happy in both endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were many treasured experiences that week; but I'd say the swimming was likely at the top of the list. Not only was it empowering to overcome fears of predators/parasites in the water, it was a pivotal part of the week’s process of immersing ourselves in Peruvian life on the Amazon. Water, that river’s water, is life. ...I would add that not all of us jumped in. Not even half of us; but I was there - and I was NOT going to miss my chance!

    ReplyDelete